Friday, April 30, 2010

Face-to-face Networking in Rockland County- Is it a Seasonal Activity?

Face-to-face Networking in Rockland County- Is it a Seasonal Activity?

I'm up bright and early to attend a business networking event this morning here in Rockland and am having some (pre-coffee!) thoughts about networking in Rockland County. Maybe you can help me sort them out, and add in some of your own.

It occurred to me that while some businesses and items are very obviously "seasonal" (ski gear, holiday shops, swimming pool sales, patio furniture, etc.), what's less obvious is that people's willingness to network might be in some ways seasonal too. I have been meaning for a while not only to attend, but also to arrange, more business networking meetings here in Rockland, because although making new connections online is wonderful, it doesn't replace face-to-face networking and meetings. Yet, I'm only now re-starting to push myself to seek out more in-person networking opportunities here in Rockland, just as the weather report tells me that it is going to warm up. Coincidence? Probably not. The thought of catching a coffee or lunch with a colleague or client while sitting outside at a sidewalk cafe is definitely more attractive than the thought of fumbling with my umbrella as I enter and exit my car in the pouring rain and wind.

So what do you think Rockland? Is face-to-face networking in Rockland a seasonal activity?